Making Underwear Sustainable
Transparency In Sustainability
In creating La Coochie, we had a vision for not only a product that kept your coochie safe, but the environment as well. We want to bring as much visibility as possible into all we’re doing to make our brand sustainable and environmentally safe (we’re not big on secrets) - we believe in honesty and clarity when it comes to our ethical fashion efforts.
We have big dreams for the future of our sustainability practices, and as a small business it takes time to be able to bring them all to life (we’re tiny but mighty & we’re doing what we can!). We’ll absolutely be continuing to add to our sustainability efforts as our business continues to grow and own responsibility for how we produce!
So, why should you really care if a brand is making sustainable clothing?
Here are a few facts to showcase WHY it’s important that fashion brands make as much effort as possible to offset their environmental impact (buckle up, it’s not pretty):
We won’t sugar coat it - that’s some scary sh*t. And unfortunately, brands will continue poor practices if they continue to make money.
Ok, so what is La Coochie doing about sustainable fashion?
We thought you’d ask. Let’s break down our sustainability and ethical work efforts based on production, people & packaging:
We use GOTS certified organic cotton to create our ultra-soft sustainable underwear, which means:
* The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certification acknowledges the product follows strict environmental and social criteria for operations along the entire textile supply chain, and is certified organically produced.
For the earth:
- It uses NO chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides to produce (protecting local habitats)
- Uses LESS water and energy to grow and produce (as much as 91% less water)
- Improves soil fertility by raising nutrient levels & preventing soil erosion
- Releases up to 46% less CO2
- Waste is procedurally minimized
For the workers:
Our organic cotton underwear is GOTS certified, meaning…
- GOTS certifies that each person in the production process works under safe & humane working conditions
- They earn a fair & living wage
- GOTS enforces safe & clean working conditions
- No child labor
- Proper rest time & no excessive hours
- Our tissue paper is FSC certified & made from 30% recycled materials (and acid-free cellulose)
- Printed with soy-based ink
- Our thank-you card is FSC certified & made from post consumer waste
- Our shipping mailer is made from 100% recycled content with 70% post consumer waste
- It’s curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable
From our shipping mailer to our thank you card and even our goddess sticker on top, our packaging is plastic-free and naturally biodegradable. Our paper materials are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or made from post-consumer materials – and printed with soy-based ink when possible!
And we won’t beat around the bush - shopping “sustainable” is tough as a consumer. There are a lot of terms & phrases thrown around in marketing that honestly don’t mean that much (slow fashion, green fashion, climate neutral, eco-friendly, the list goes on) - it can all get really confusing. We’re working on helping our customers feel educated in their sustainable fashion shopping choices and we’re always here to answer questions about how our processes work.
As we continue to embark on our ongoing journey to create sustainable organic cotton underwear, we commit to updating our customers on our changes to any sustainability practices here and on our channels!
What we’re dreaming up next: